Tuesday, October 4, 2011

America's Lagging Education System

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw stupid in america
2. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/01/top-google-search-2009-ze_n_375105.html 200 2009 top google searches


I have very strong opinions when it comes to americas education system. I was the only child of three to go to private school my whole life, and I am very thankful for it. I never realized before coming to college what a difference it made. I have a lot of friends that went to public schools and we have often discussed the differences in these environments. I believe a huge factor for our declining education levels has to do with peoples priorities. people care to much about pop culture and what the mass media puts on to entertain them. i have witnessed this first hand with many of my friends. they can name entire rosters of sports teams, and different statistics to accompany them, but cannot name the first five presidents. people, sadly, look up to pop culture figures and become obsessed with them. We care more about the kardashians than actual substantial matters.  this trend continues in our society because the parents pass these tendencies on to the next generation. If we really want to reverse this trend, education must start in the home.

4 comments:

  1. I like your opinion and also think the direction has shifted. I agree that people like to know whats new with celebrities more than they want to go to school and put an effort into their education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that a lot of people are more worried about what's going on in entertainment than what is going on with our economy, but I have to admit that I can sometimes get caught up in what's going on with the Kardashians and what new celebrity couple called it quits. However, I have my priorities in order and I don't waste precious time worrying about these insignificant things and worry more about school and what I need to do to succeed. I think it really depends on the person and what their priorities are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never truly thought about that but it does make perfect sense. So many ids choose to watch a sporting even or an awards ceremony then go to the library and put in the time to understand what they are being thought. Furthermore, I do not understand why kids are obsessed with the kardashians or anyone else for that matter. IF you envy there life so much why dont you go out and try to take it because watching there show is not going to get you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that people are more focused on what celebrities are doing and envying them rather than focusing on their own education. I believe people feel a need to be like these celebrities instead of doing what is needed to succeed in their own life.

    ReplyDelete